Hamlet is a Shakespearean tragedy about Hamlet, the prince of Denmark, who discovers that his father was murdered and seeks revenge on Claudius, the one who killed him to become the king of Denmark.
- King Hamlet - Before the play begins, he was dead. He returned as a ghost and revealed that his brother Claudius killed him by pouring poison into his ear.
- Polonius - Stabbed from behind a curtain by Hamlet, believing him to be Claudius spying on him.
- Ophelia - Went insane because of Polonius's death, and drowned herself offscreen.
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern - Killed by the king of England, when Hamlet gave them a note to take to him that (unbeknownst to them) told him to put the bearers of the note to death. In the movie "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead", this is depicted as a hanging.
- Gertrude - Drank poisoned wine intended for Hamlet by Claudius.
- Claudius - Stabbed by Hamlet, then forced to drink poisoned wine. In the film, a small bit is added where Hamlet swings a chandelier into him after stabbing him.
- Laertes - Wounded by Hamlet with a poisoned sword. Exchanged forgiveness with him once Claudius was killed. The film adds a bit where, after nicking him, Hamlet kicks him over the balcony.
- Hamlet - Wounded by Laertes with a poisoned sword, as part of Claudius's plan. Exchanged forgiveness with him after Claudius was killed.
By the end of the play, the only major character alive was Horatio.