My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the fourth generation of My Little Pony. Unlike its third generations, which were mainly appealing to little girls, this generation is more popular among older audiences, predominately male between ages 16-35. Despite this deaths are rare to avoid making the series dark, but it does have its share, although many are hard to notice.
See also: G1 of My Little Pony
In the showEdit
- Windigos - Incinerated by Smart Cookie, Clover the Clever, and Private Pansy with the Fire of Friendship.
- The following will be dead of old age by the story's beginning:
- Starswirl the Bearded
- Clover the Clever
- Princess Platinum
- Private Pansy
- Commander Hurricane
- Smart Cookie
- Chancellor Puddinghead
- Arimaspi - Bridge he was on was struck by lightning, sending him falling into the Abysmal Abyss. His skull is later seen.
- Bright Macintosh - Is dead of unknown causes before the first episode.
- Pear Butter/Buttercup - Is dead of unknown causes before the first episode.
- Fuzzy Slippers - Presumably died of cancer, as he may have been the pony whose funeral was being held in the episode following his only appearance.
- King Sombra - Destroyed by the power of the Crystal Heart unleashed by Princess Cadance and the crystal ponies.
- Pinkie Pie clones - Effectively killed when Twilight used a spell to banish them back to the mirror, as they never existed before Pinkie created them. Indeed, they seem to implode into magic which then goes back into the mirror from whence it came. (Note: At least one seems to have survived, possibly the first clone created, unless it was a changeling)
- Giant timberwolf - Choked on a rock thrown into his mouth by Spike
- Plunderseeds - Destroyed when Twilight Sparkle returned the Elements of Harmony to the Tree of Harmony. (although earlier one was severed by Applejack closing a window and one facehugger vine was destroyed by Twilight with a magic beam, and two were destroyed by Discord)
- Bugbear - Presumably killed by the Mane 6 (it is never seen nor specified how they "defeated" him)
- Tantabus - Absorbed back into Luna when she was able to forgive herself for what she did as Nightmare Moon
- Plant Monster - Either killed when the human Rainbow Dash tackled him, or, if he survived this, destroyed along with the others by Twilight's device.
- Midnight Sparkle - Overpowered and destroyed from within by the human Twilight. (Unlike Nightmare Moon and Demon Sunset, she became separate from her in a sense)
- Biff - Presumably killed by a death trap inside the temple (as he is otherwise-inexplicably not seen with Caballeron and the other henchponies when next they appear).
- Pickpocket - Presumably killed by a death trap inside the temple (for the same reason as Biff), likely in a brutal way due to being based off Pat Roach.
- Dr. Caballeron - Presumably eaten by the Cipactli. Highly debatable, as he could potentially escape and return in a later episode (we last see it chasing him and two of his minions).
- Rogue - Presumably eaten by the Cipactli. Debatable
- Withers - Presumably eaten by the Cipactli. Debatable
In the comicsEdit
According to Meghan McCarthy, the IDW comics are set in a separate parallel universe/s to the show, though many events of the show transpire the same way.
- Cat - Killed by Chrysalis in front of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. (although the comics' writers said that the other cats survived)
- Chubacabra - Is implied to be killed by the vampiric jackalope.
- Vampiric Jackalopes - Are implied to be killed by the Chubacabra.
- Nightmare Moon - Is destroyed forever by Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie with the power of their friendship, and Spike with his love for Rarity, releasing Rarity from her control. (note: in Nightmare Rarity comic canon she is a separate entity from Luna, unlike in the show)
- King Sombra - Destroyed by Princess Cadance and the Crystal Ponies with the power of the Crystal Heart (much like the show) before the events of Fiendship is Magic and Siege of the Crystal Empire. He returned as a ghost and was later revived by Radiant Hope.
- King Orion - Presumably killed by Chrysalis. (Though Rainbow Dash said that he flew into the sky and became a constellation, Twilight insists that that part was made up)
- Sergio - Sent falling into the lava by Chrysalis throwing a changeling at him, causing him great pain and presumably killing him. (This is in contrast to the show where dragons are immune to lava as shown in Dragon Quest)
Theories and obscure possibilitiesEdit
These are less than "presumed deceased" but are speculated about and possible.
- The chimera is believed to have starved to death after Applejack got her snake's head caught in tree branches and her tiger's head caught in a tree trunk (despite appeasing the goat's head with cheese for the moment).
- Lord Tirek is last seen being blasted by the Mane 6 with Rainbow Power, and appears in Tartarus imprisoned inside a cage. It appears they teleported him there and materialized the cage around him. However, given that Tartarus is the pony equivalent of Hell, there is speculation that Tirek was either destroyed this time (and cages in Tartarus are the afterlife for villains), or that Celestia and Luna destroyed Tirek the first time they sent him to Tartarus (although in this instance it is more likely they sent him through a portal as he would later do to them).
- Some think the Dazzlings (Adagio Dazzle, Aria Blaze, and Sonata Dusk) aged into dust after their pendants were destroyed by Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, and the human versions of Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity with the power of their song, as they had kept them alive for over a thousand years while in human form. (This could be debunked if they ever return, but they are mysteriously absent from Friendship Games and Legend of Everfree) On the other hand, it is a lot more common in fanon for Sonata Dusk to have survived and reformed, a thought supported by this trading card.
The theory about Nightmare Moon being a separate entity was debunked for the show by both Lauren Faust and the episode Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep. Sunset Shimmer's demon form is likely not a separate entity either, though Midnight Sparkle shows that both had the potential to separate from their original selves.